Road rules in Muscat? I am pretty sure there are no road rules in Muscat and if there is any, nobody follows them. Certainly one should not try and follow the markings on the road as they will just put you crook. Like I am driving down an off ramp from the highway - certainly knowing I am going the only way possible and there is an arrow on the road pointing back at me - I am like WTF?? Oh and Stop signs are merely suggestions, Give Way signs doubly so!! If you see a spot you just go for it and if there is no space you just create it by nudging your way into someone elses space and push them out. There is no way of knowing what anyone is going to do until they actually do it because hardly anyone actually indicates and if they do they usually do as they are making the manouvre. Noone here has heard about the two second rule, nor have they heard that one should never pull into another cars blind spot. So I am like indicating that I am going into the fast lane on the highway, giving the obligatory 2 seconds see nothing in it behind pull out and honk, honk someone is pulling into my blindspot right there and then - pffftttt!!! The only way to safely travel around a roundabout is to do so in the inside lane as this has the right of way to exit the round about - I mean like hello???? Actually took me ages to figure that one out. General rule of thumb is you give way to anything that is bigger or more expensive than you. A quick cost to mass ratio is a handy calculation to be able to do in your head on the roads here. There is an average of 20 deaths on the road here every month!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment